Equivalency of courses & programs:
- Grade 9: 9° ano do Ensino Fundamental
- Grade 10: 1° ano do Ensino Médio
- Grade 11: 2° ano do Ensino Médio
- Grade 12: 3° ano do Ensino Médio
Requirements for the Brazilian Diploma:
- Satisfactory completion, at the end of Grade 9, of all requirements for the Conclusão do 9 série do Ensino Fundamental;
- Six semesters of academic work beyond Grade 9;
- Completion of Ensino Médio; and
- Satisfactory completion of all requirements for the American Diploma.
Specific credit requirements for the Brazilian Diploma, earned in Grades 10, 11 and 12, include those prescribed below:
Brazilian Social Studies
- Grade 9 - Brazilian Social Studies 9 (0.5 credits)
- Grade 10 - Brazilian Social Studies 10 (0.5 credits)
- Grade 11 - IB SL Brazilian Social Studies I (1.0 credit)
- Grade 12 - IB SL Brazilian Social Studies II (1.0 credit)
MathematicsStudents must take one mathematics course in each of the four years of high school
- Grade 9 - Portuguese 9 (1.0 credit)
- Grade 10 - Portuguese 10 (1.0 credit)
- Grade 11 IB - HL/SL Portuguese A Lang and Lit I (1.0 credit) or IB HL/SL Portuguese B I (1.0 credit)
- Grade 12 IB HL/SL Portuguese A Lang and Lit HL II (1.0 credit) or IB HL/SL Portuguese B II (1.0 credit)
ScienceStudents must take one science course in each of the four years of high school.
ArtsStudents in Grade 9 must take at least one semester course in the Visual and Performing Arts and two additional semester Art courses in Grades 10, 11 or 12.
Physical EducationStudents must take one semester of PE and one semester of Health in Grade 9 and two additional semesters of PE in Grades 10, 11, or 12 – a total of four semesters. [Sample transcript of a student earning the United States and Brazilian Diplomas.]