Have you been searching for an engaging new book to read? Each October, the Young Adult Library Service Association (YALSA), a division of the American Library Association, promotes TeenTober. TeenTober is a month-long event that celebrates teenagers and promotes the innovative ways teen services foster literacy and adolescent passions.
Inspired by the TeenTober initiative, the Upper School Library at Graded organizes a number of programs to support literacy and engagement throughout the year. Programs have included Middle School Battle of the Books, High School Graded Reads, High School Book Club, and the Visiting Author Program (sponsored by the Graded Annual Fund). Just this month, we welcomed author and storyteller Muriel Johnson to Graded, and in March, we look forward to a visit from Argentine-American author Yamile Saied Méndez.
The most anticipated component of TeenTober each year is the announcement of The Teens' Top Ten, in which teens nominate and choose their favorite books of the previous year. Browse this year’s nominees below and add them to your TBR (to-be-read) list. For a list with book summaries, click here. ("Teens' Top Ten")
- 10 Truths and a Dare by Ashley Elston.
- Ace of Spades by Faridah Àbíké-Íyímídé.
- All of Us Villains by Amanda Foody and Christine Herman.
- All These Bodies by Kendare Blake.
- Any Sign of Life by Rae Carson.
- Aristotle and Dante Dive into the Waters of the World by Benjamin Alire Sáenz
- Concrete Rose by Angie Thomas.
- Counting Down with You by Tashie Bhuiyan.
- Dark Rise by C. S. Pacat.
- Firekeeper's Daughter by Angeline Boulley.
- Gilded by Marissa Meyer.
- The Great Gatsby: A Graphic Novel Adaptation by K. Woodman Manyard.
- The Hawthorne Legacy by Jennifer Lynn Barnes.
- Heartless Prince by Leigh Dragoon and Angela De Vito.
- Here's to Us by Becky Albertalli and Adam Silvera.
- Idol Gossip by Alexandra Leigh Young.
- Instructions for Dancing by Nicola Yoon.
- Ivies by Alexa Donne.
- Made In Korea by Sarah Suk.
- A Pho Love Story by Loan Le.
- Piece by Piece: The Story of Nisrin’s Hijab by Priya Huq.
- The Quantum Weirdness of the Almost Kiss by Amy Noelle Parks.
- Realm Breaker by Victoria Aveyard.
- Rule of Wolves by Leigh Bardugo.
- We Can't Keep Meeting Like This by Rachel Lynn Solomon.
The Graded Upper School Library has many of the books above! Visit us and discover your new favorite novel in our collection.
For the month of October, the High School Book Club has chosen to read and discuss The Ivies, by Alexa Donne, one of the Top Ten nominees. Contact Ms. Boerner in the Upper School Library if you are interested in joining.
"Teens' Top Ten," American Library Association, August 14, 2021.
http://www.ala.org/yalsa/teenstopten (Accessed October 19, 2022)
Document ID: 7540d50c-e236-6e14-854a-89cea456d9fb