Bring Your Own Device
MINIMUM Requirements For 2017-2018
Device requirements have been updated for the 2017-18 school year. These minimum requirements (see below) are designed to ensure students have a device, which enables them to fully participate in educational activities and be supported appropriately by teachers and technicians. Graded operates a multi-platform 1:1 environment, and will continue to do so for the 2017-18 school year. It should be noted that:
- Currently 80% of students use a Macbook Pro or Macbook Air
- Currently teachers use a DELL PC, and the school infrastructure is based on a Microsoft platform.
- iPads and Android tablets are fantastic devices with many educational applications. However, there are limitations that mean they are not suitable as a primary device in Graded’s educational setting.
- Students are welcome to bring a tablet, smartphone, or other digital devices in addition to their laptop.
- Suggested (not required) laptop manufacturers and models available and supported in Brazil
Basic configuration requirements for devices:
- Core i5 Processor.
- Screen Size from 13” to 15”. Not bigger.
- 4GB RAM.
- Network Wireless Card B/G/N – Desired A/C.
- Hard drive 250GB minimum.
- International manufacturers (HP/Dell/Apple/Samsung/Sony).
- Windows OS, Apple OS or Linux.
- Battery Life: 3+ hours- an extra charge battery is desirable, but optional.
- Built-in or external microphone.
- Built-in or external camera.
Laptop with Mac OS or Windows (English language only), and a physical keyboard suitable for touch-typing.
Platform must support Adobe Flash and editing of Google Docs. iPads and other tablet devices currently do not meet these requirements and are unsuitable as the student's primary device.
Students are required to have a power adapter during the school day for use in the class if their battery runs out. Power cords must match the new Brazilian regulation. Older power cords may require that students bring an adapter.